Feb 5, 2014

(Trying to) Write Like a Native Speaker! (Part I)

As an international student, I've been trying as hard as possible to write emails like native speakers. It's ..well...a painstaking process :P There are some "common combinations" of words that I don't really know how to use. Especially preposition, plural, and collocation. Well, I can still write something that people understand. But if I can I'd try to write more elegantly. 

Usually I tried to start with a draft and then send it to my friends for help. Every time  I am surprised by how different the email reads after the fine-tuning. 

Here I'm going to share some email templates. Hope that helps! 



>> When you are going to arrange a meeting...... 


SUBJECT: Arranging a meeting for the Pd/STO project

Dear C and Prof. S,  

In the ICEP meeting last week we briefly talked about meeting together and discussing the results we have so far. I'm writing this email to coordinate a time to meet. Please let me know which time slots in the following two weeks (JAN. 21-31) are available for you:

(Insert time slots here: day of the week, and time) 

Thank you very much I'm looking forward to our discussion!


* * *

Thank you for all who had replied. As for the meeting time, Prof. Stair will be off campus on that Monday but he can do video conference 4:30-5:30 pm.

However, he has offered a time slot on Friday (2/7) 2-5 pm. Does that work for you? If not, we can have the meeting on Monday as scheduled

Thank you. 

* * *

Hi BR:

I see that a time has been saved on my calendar for this Friday for a meeting. I presume this is the meeting that will include K and L. Is that correct? If so, prior to the meeting please put in writing clear questions/issues that we want to address at the meeting.

I have 2-5 pm blocked out for research meetings on Friday, but right now no one has signed up. Feel free to include that block of time for the potential meeting.


Thanks,



* * *

>> When you are going to ask somebody to do something for you...... 


SUBJECT: Request for Qualifier Committee (Feb. 6th)

Dear Prof. S,

My name is BR and I am in Prof. B’s research group. I am writing to ask if you would do me the honor of being on my qualifier committee. I’m working on the ALD-Pd/SrTiO3 nanocuboids project along with NR. With your expertise in catalysis, as well as your collaborations with us in a similar project before (ALD-Pt/SrTiO3 nanocuboids), I believe that you would be an ideal member of my committee.

I am looking to schedule my qualifier between Jan. 14-18 or Jan. 21-25. If you are interested and available, please let me know which days and times are suitable for you.

Thank you very much for your help!


* * *

SUBJECT: XRD Pattern Fitting Help

Hey BR,
I hope you had a great New Year's and a fantastic break overall.
I was wondering if you could help me with some data analysis for some XRD that I have conducted. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes of your time, but it would be great to hear your thoughts about it.
Anyway, if you can, can you let me know when you're available? Thanks!


* * *

Thank you for considering my request!
I will be grateful for the help.
I hope you would be able to provide the information.


I'm going to put more examples on the blog in the future. =)